Friday, January 20, 2012

With the fishes

Since this whole, what would you call it, lifestyle change, I've done some things that I never thought I'd be able to do.

Today I swam 1.25km.

To most people that's probably not all that remarkable, but, I never learnt to swim as a littley, and I've certainly never been one to swim laps. But in the last few weeks I've discovered that it's a bit of fun.

My first time, 3 weeks ago, I was so nervous about, well, everything. Did I look fat in my bathers? Would I swallow water and start to drown? Would the people in the gym overlooking the pool be secretly laughing at my weird attempts? In the end, I just did it - 400m in about 40 minutes. It was tough, but it was a start.

Last time I didn't have all of the other stupid thoughts in my head, and focused on out-doing myself. 600m in 35 minutes. Mission successful.

So to more than double my previous best today was, to me at least, a significant achievement.

I'm sure my stroke is messy & my occasional banging into the wall makes people point and laugh, but I dont care, coz I'm doing it! And burning 373 calories in the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment