Friday, January 6, 2012

I would walk 500 miles

One of the first things we did waaaaay back when we started this change was to buy a pair of pedometers. We're both fairly competitive with each other AND our selves, so we have worn them daily and always track our progress (an excel spreadsheet for Loz & an exercise log ap for me).

My back surgery was on Nov 3, and the pedometer came on Nov 8 so I've got a few days missing from my tally.

My first post-op walk was on Nov 7, and I barely managed to get to the corner and back. Seriously... it took nearly 20 minutes to go 400m.

But each day got a little easier;
Nov 10 2,236 steps
Nov 11 5,520 steps
Nov 12 7,816 steps which was totally over-doing it, resulting in;
Nov 13 4,888 steps

I was so desperate to crack the 10,000 mark...

which I first managed on Nov 16 and only backed it up 3 more times that month.

December saw me REALLY stretch it out, and as the month rolled on, I was regularly getting over 14,000 steps each day.

I had a set of routes that I'd measured, and mid way through December I tried beating my own best time in terms of steps per hour.

That 60 minute morning walk has now stretched out to an almost 7km circuit, and even though some mornings I'm stiff in the back and really can't be bothered, and it would be SOOOO easy to throw an excuse out there, it's just NOT going to happen.

If I manage to keep this up I will have walked over 217km in the month of January!




No comments:

Post a Comment