Thursday, January 12, 2012

A ferocious 500


One of the basic "rules" of 12wbt is to burn 500 cals each week day through some form of movement or a combination of several different activities.  I've had some great days where a morning and night session (and sometimes a sneaky mid day one too) have had my burn at around or slightly over the magic 500 mark, but I've never managed to do it in one sitting before.  Well, walking, not sitting!

I walked for 1:46:12 this morning.  Google maps has it at about 10.6km. Pedometer reading was 11,476. Calorie burn was 507.

At about the 7km mark (which was my previous PB) my legs & hips started to cramp, and ache, and I was considering hailing a taxi, or having a little lie down, or even better, having a lie down on the path so someone might have called an ambulance so I'd effectively get a free taxi.  But after a few choice words to myself, I pushed through it, kind of limping the last 500m home.

Note to self: *face palm* Don't push yourself so hard...loser!

2 comments:

  1. Well done for burning 500 cals in one go and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone! Hope you recover soon from that walk. One tip: Interval workouts can help you burn more in less time. Basically doing high intensity for a short time, say 1 minute, followed by low intensity recovery, say for 1 or 2 minutes. And then just repeat the sequence. A walk-run routine is basically an interval workout. Walk 2 minutes, run 1 minute, then walk for 2 minutes... and so on. You can also try walk 5 minutes, then stop to do jumping jack or burpees to get your heart rate up, that way when resuming your walk, you'll burn more. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Raelene,
    Your post made me smile. That sounds so much like me, although I'm not even doing the exercise part yet and struggling with the 1200 cals. Great work for getting out there and doing it. Even though you pushed yourself a little too hard, at least next time you will know your limit or even better that you actually pushed yourself past your limit and survivied!!!!. With the 500 cal burn, I've been advised to work up to it. I know I struggle to get to 500 cal in a workout but we will get there. I made the mistake of over-doing it at the beginning of last round and totally ruined my round. I got shin splints, hurt myself and lost motivation. Keep up the good work.
    We are in this together :)
    Kaz
    PS. You are definately not a loser, you are a winner in my terms ;)

    ReplyDelete