Saturday, February 18, 2012

Blogger Challenge Week 1: Introduction

As part of my commitment to get the most I can from this experience I've decided to join Whirlsie's weekly blogger challenge.


1.  Tell us a little bit about yourself.  What makes you, you?
It's all pretty much in my profile, but; I'm not far off 44, live with the love of my life and our 2 furkids in a gorgeous new home we built last year.  Had my kids REALLY young (they're 25 & 22) and their dad and I divorced amicably 7 years ago.  In many ways I never really learnt who I was, and I'd still consider myself under investigation.


What makes me, me?  Well, I'm driven to succeed but revel in watching other's successes.  Passionate for a cause but only until I find a new project.  Hard on the outside but butter soft on the inside (not that I remember what butter tastes like).  And I'm sure I'll find out a while lot more about myself by the end of these 12 weeks...

2.  Why did you decide to do the 12WBT?
While I was recovering from back surgery, I stumbled across the blog of a 12wbt'er. At that point I could barely walk 500m and was so inspired by what I read that I read some more.  And as my back became stronger, I started to think that maybe, just maybe I could do it too.

3.  What are you hoping to achieve through the program?
Well, the obvious is weight loss.  My original goal was 75kg, but I've shocked myself and now sit just a whisper under 80kg, so I'm re-setting to 70kg to challenge myself. But its so much more than that. The health improvements are just as important to me, and I'm determined to make these changes permanent.


4.  Why have you decided to blog about the 12WBT? What will be the main focus (eg, food, exercise, a bit of everything?
I caught the blogging bug last year while we were building our new home, and as well as being an invaluable form of support through the stress of it all, we have formed some incredible friendships as well. I also love the idea of paying it forward - who knows, maybe someone might stumble upon my blog and decide to change their lives??

So far it's been a bit of everything; food, exercise, weigh in on a Wednesday, and I'm planning on a weekly wrap up on a Sunday that puts it all together (work in progress)


5.  How will you be exercising this round? Gym, home, outdoors or a mixture?
So far I've been mixing things up. Love my power walks in the fresh air. Love love the few gym classes I've tried, and don't mind throwing in one of Mich's DVD's on occasion. But group workouts with the local girls, led by Lisa Farmer (a 7 time 12wbt'er) make me sweat like crazy and work in ways I never thought possible.

6.  What is your greatest strength that will help you?
I'm a competitive bitch.  Usually with myself & very occasionally towards others, but never at their expense!

7.  What are you afraid of?
Re-injury.  Just the thought of it makes my stomach turn.

8.  What are you looking forward to the most over the next 12 weeks?
Probably the social side of the program - belonging to a team, encouraging each other, sharing other's successes.    

9.  What is your downfall? Food? Exercise? How will you overcome this?
If I repeat my past patterns, I'll get busy at work and struggle to justify going for a lunchtime walk, which will then make me feel more tired and I'll grab takeaway on the way home and veg out in front of the TV.  I HAVE to make myself a priority and not feel guilty about doing things for myself.

10. If you had to pick one word to motivate you over the next 12 weeks, what would you choose?





1 comment:

  1. Wow Raelene, you've done so well even before this round started. Great that you have to re-set your goal. lovely to learn a bit more about you!

    ReplyDelete