Thursday, February 9, 2012

40 year rewind

I had a light bulb moment this morning over breakfast, which took me back to my younger years...

Most of my really young memories were of being in Nan's kitchen.  I used to marvel at the way she could peel veggies with a knife and not cut herself. There were so many veggies on the plate - always a little potato - that sat alongside a steak or chicken or fish on Fridays.

The recycled coffee jars she had lined up in her pantry full of colourful things that she'd then spoon out into her breakfast bowl, top with fruit and then yoghurt. I remember thinking how disgusting it looked and made a mental note to NEVER eat anything that dry looking - I'd stick to coco pops forever!

And my breakfast this morning...

I now eat the way I watched Nan feed her tribe all those years ago.

I don't ever remember my Nan being "fat".  She didn't get her license until Pa had a stroke 30 years ago. Never needed to.  She walked everywhere. Pushed a shopping cart to and from town (usually with me sitting on top for the walk home) to do the groceries.

She'll turn 87 this October. She lives independently. Still gets out in the garden too.

Nan, you taught me everything I needed to know about how to fuel my body.  I just forgot somewhere along the way.  I hope to make you proud of me little Nan.  Much love always Sylvia Jean xxxxx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Raelene, have just read your entire blog and I am so inspired by what you've already achieved without the support of the 12wbt mob. Fantastic. You really will have to reassess your goals for this round.... amazing. Thank you for checking out my blog - no doubt as part of your goal to check out 5 new blogs each week! Good luck with round 1, only 3 sleeps to go! I'll look forward to reading more .....

    ReplyDelete