Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Speak easy

Warning: This post is completely self-indulgent - but hey it's my blog!

I loathe, detest, abhor public speaking.  I avoided any job or situation that called for it, and hid myself away at events for fear of having to say something.

A little over two years ago I landed the dream job.  No, really, when I tell people what I do, they reply with something like "cool", or "you're so lucky", or "man, I'd love to do that".

But...

I have to do the thing I most hate to do - speak to a crowd.


So here's me on Sunday.  Room full of people who either don't know me or haven't since me since I was fat. Stepping up to the lectern wearing a size 12 suit for the first time in my adult life I felt calm, confident and controlled. Strong too!

I doubt anyone thought any less of me when I was fat, but I did.  I was uncomfortable and felt a fraud. I'll still be nervous whenever I have to speak, but not having to worry about the buttons on my size 18 shirt gaping, or covering the muffin top from a skirt that will barely do up lets me focus on the message I'm trying to deliver rather than my insecurities.

It's going to be a good year :)

2 comments:

  1. You have done soooo well, it is going to be a bloody awesome year for you. That is a gorgeous photo Raelene. What is your job, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie :) I'm CEO of the State Basketball League. For a basketball fanatic it's the coolest job ever!!

      Delete