Tuesday, March 20, 2012

In sickness and in health...

Although I doubt many brides parrot these vows back to their betrothed these days, its a topic prompted by Whirslie's blogger challenge for week 5;
So what does being healthy mean to you? What is it that has made you start this journey into being a healthier you?  


I've written about my back surgery on November 3 last year, blah blah blah, which was definitely the reason I STARTED this gig, but the first part of the question has had me digging a little deeper.


The old boy, as I affectionately call him, is 11 years my senior.  I know, scandal, right? He went through hell for us to be together.  You don't need the details, but you do need to know that I want to make it worth his while.  So if I stayed as I was; eating poorly, putting on weight, working too much, virtually crippled with back pain, then it would be only natural for him to regret it, yeah?


So this health thing is as much (if not more) for him, us, as it is for me.


What does healthy look like?  It's a glow. And I think that glow comes from within.  From a place where you're satisfied with the choices you make, physically, emotionally & probably spiritually in whatever form that takes for you.  


I would class myself as an apprentice in this healthy lifestyle thing. I'm learning so much about me, my body, how I interact with others and my place in the world. Some days I get it right, others horribly wrong. But I'm finding that the "right" days are outweighing the "wrong" ones with each week that passes.  A trend I hope continues, as I intend to be around, living healthily, with the love of my life for many many years to come.  Vows or no vows...til death do us part (a long time from now please!)






1 comment:

  1. beautiful post Raelene, coming from a place of real love. I loved reading about your old boy! And now, having explored 'health' a bit more, I understand why so many people wish you love and health as you set out on your life's journey.

    ReplyDelete