Saturday, July 26, 2014

Where does motivation come from?

This week has been as close to 'perfect' as I've had in this lifestyle change bizzo.

TRAINING...
Monday:  rest
Tuesday:  strength
Wednesday:  Pilates, which turned into Body Balance at lunch time followed by a great session on The Tan track after work, followed by a special screening of 'Spirit of the Marathon II'.
Thursday:  gentle walk and stretch
Friday: rest 
Saturday: parkrun volunteer which will be followed by another gentle walk this afternoon.
Sunday:  tomorrow is Run Melbourne - but it'll get a post of its own :)

NUTRITION...
was spot on, despite many many many temptations and a beautiful work dinner Thursday night where I was the only one to not order entree and dessert.

All week I have trained like an athlete, eaten like an athlete and thought like an athlete.  

And it feels good.

So, where does motivation come from?  Why are some weeks 'easy' and others such a struggle?

For me, it seems to be linked to a goal.  I AM running a half marathon in January, so there are certain things that must be done.  If I delay them, make excuses for them, or don't prioritise them, then either the event won't happen or I won't get the feeling that I'm chasing.  The feeling of being an athlete.  Not that I'm kidding myself into thinking I'm elite.  I'm not.  And that's okay.  But when I'm in an event, albeit in the second half of the field, I feel like an athlete.  And I like it.  A lot.

Can I bottle this feeling and dip into it when I'm in struggle street and the CBF's hit?  No.  But I can (and will) continue to make the best decision possible at every opportunity, leave the excuses for the old me, and continue to towards achieving my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment