Monday, July 30, 2012

It's a date

This is completely bizarre, but it seems I have developed an intolerance to DATES!  Naawwww.  I love dates.  How can those deliciously sweet, yummy morsels carry so many bloody allergens?

I knew something was a-miss last week when I struggled to get through boxing circuit.  Usually after I get through a session I'm pretty much on top of the world, but last week - flatter than flat.

Perhaps I was coming down with something?  Half of Melbourne has had the flu that I've somehow managed to avoid.  Yep, I can push through that.

On the treadie at gym on Thursday I just had nothing.  No interest.  No breath.  Nothing.  I tried again later in the day with the intention of a 7km run.  Got 1km in and it started to rain, which was my saving grace.  I just wasn't feeling it at all,so turned back.

Friday at work- back to back to back meetings where I managed to throw down a quick snack (dates, almonds and strawberries) as my lunch.  So tired and lethargic.  Meetinged out and after a 14 hour day was ready for a nanna nap.

Saturday I was due at running coaching.  Couldn't lift my head from the pillow.  My chest and back were aching and I had a stupid cough.  Okay - maybe I'm sick.  But I don't feel "sick",just exhausted and drained.  Maybe I'm not eating enough or my body has had enough of being in calorie deficit?

Sunday - blah.  Manage to go to work but shivered through it.  Seriously, it was as though someone was running ice cubes along my bones - from the inside.  Still I had to work late and get the media side of my job out of the way.  I'm sitting there in 20 layers of clothes with a pen in my mouth and then it hits me that my lips feel strange.  A few minutes later I'm struggling to breathe properly.  This REALLY doesn't feel right.

I ask the girls on the local FB group if anyone has had anything similar.  They're all "get your ass off to a doctor".  I don't like doctors.  Yes, I know I sound like a 5 year old. And there's no longer the lure of jelly beans either.  Too many cals.

Then my throat starts to swell up and my skin is all of a sudden VERY itchy.  I feel as though I could pass out.  And then the penny drops.  Mould.  I have an extreme reaction to the stuff.  And dates are susceptible to it's formation.  Ipso-facto, I'm allergic to dates.

Just to be a good girl I go to the doctor anyway today for a check up.  She orders the usual blood work.  Tells me to stop eating dates (D'oh), puts me on an anti-histamine to open my airways up again and she'll see me in a few days.

There's a whole unopened packet of dates in the fridge.  I want them.  I'll miss them.  I am in mourning.


No comments:

Post a Comment