Friday, July 6, 2012

Food glorious fooooooddddd

Week 5 (goodness me - this round is flying) blogger challenge hosted by the very gorgeous Jayne is all about FOOOOOOOD.  And let's face it, none of us would be reforming fatties if it wasn't for our lust for the yummy stuff.

What were your old food habits like?


Oh dear, I was a shocker!  I had some awful habits.

Like;
every Saturday we would drive down to see our new build taking shape and would stop at the bakery on the way home.  EVERY SATURDAY I would have a pie AND some sort of slice FOR LUNCH!!!

every time I did the grocery shopping (on my own) I would also grab an iced coffee AND a bag of chocolate coated licorice bullets...as my REWARD (a couple of times a week)!

every single work day I would buy my lunch.  Some days pizza.  Some days chicken & chips.  Or pasta.  Or calamari and chips.

we had takeaway for dinner 3 or 4 times each week.  Thursday night was KFC.  We'd get a family bucket - between the two of us (I'm cringing right now).  Friday night would usually be fish and chips.  Fried fish, of course.  Or maybe even a hamburger.

snackage - oh blimey!  Tim tams, chips, coke, chocolate, lollies, ice cream.  In fact, my trolley used to be 90% crap.

And then when you add in dessert, second helpings and no exercise...well...need I say more?

What were you like before embarking on this journey to become a healthier version of yourself?


Great question Jayne.  In fact, I've spent time in the last few days on this topic, and I don't like the answers.  I was nothing.  I did nothing.  I looked forward to nothing.  I found joy in nothing.  I was just going through the motions day after day after day.  I was bored, un-motivated, un-interested. I was stressed out all the time.  Emotional (in a bad way). Lazy.

But all labels aside, I wasn't happy with me.  I hadn't been happy with me for a long time.  I'd changed everything; cars, several  jobs, moved house again and again, left a 20 year marriage.  The only thing I hadn't tried to change was me - my mindset - my inner and outer self - the one thing that had the power to make me happy.

Was there anything you struggled with but have overcome?

I struggled (and to a point still do struggle) with portion sizes.  I tend to choose meals that have loads of veggies and a smaller amount of protein so I get that plateful type of feeling when I sit down to dinner.  And I miss sweet things.  Coke. And my hands look for something to pop into my mouth when I'm watching TV at night.

How do you do it?

Cold turkey.  I made the decision to clean up my act and get the weight off when I was laying in the recovery room after emergency back surgery.  I've rarely gone over 1200 calories a day since then.

What are your new eating habits like?

About 90% of my food intake is fresh produce, compared to the 10% it used to be.  I cook every single night - no takeaway.  We've probably eaten out 6 times in the past 8 months, and what's coming out of my wok is as good as anything I've eaten out.  I savour my mood and really taste it.  And I'm so well prepared now.  I plan the week in advance and stick to it.  Shop once each week. And no garbage finds it's way into the trolley these days (other than the man's chicken potato chips - yuk!)

How do you feel now? What is the difference?  How is it changing your life?


I'm a completely different person.  Truly.  And it's not just the weight.  My mood has stabilised, I'm happier. Much more optimistic.  And others have noticed this too. I'm a better partner, boss, mother, friend. I have confidence again in the kitchen.  Confidence everywhere actually. And I like the person I am becoming.  I say becoming, as I consider myself  a work in progress.

I'm alive.  I have purpose.  It's that simple really.

Why has it been and continues to be worth it?

I'm struggling to answer this one.  Will "I AM WORTH IT" suffice?




No comments:

Post a Comment