Sunday, June 3, 2012

Fun? Run

Who, in their right mind, gets out of bed at 6:30am on a freezing cold Melbourne morning to go for a run? A "fun" run at that.  Well, yes.  That's exactly what I did this morning.  And was it fun?  Well, yes.  It was a full on BLAST!

This was HUGE for me on so many different fronts and showed me how much personal progress I have undergone in the recent(ish) past;
The event was on at Albert Park.  3 years ago I almost turned a job down because I was so scared of driving into the city, and now I don't even give it a second thought.
Today marked the 7 month point from my back surgery. The week before I had that done I couldn't even walk up the steps at work.
Today I ran in my first fun run.  And I loved it.

This is only the second time I've managed the distance on a run.

When I came back to work in January I started walking around Albert Park Lake.  That first time took me over 48 minutes.

Today I ran the course (which is a bit longer than my usual circuit) in;


At the start of the last round of 12wbt, for my 1km time trial I recorded a time of 6:42 - and I wasn't able to run the whole way.  See my Nike+ record over there  All 5 of my km's were under 6:20.

This might sound a bit stupid - but the concept that this was a race never entered into my mind.  For me it was 100% about continuously running and then beating my PB of 33:07 (for 4.8km at 6'54/km).

SMASHED IT!!!

Anyway - apparently it WAS a race, and I came 35th overall in the female 40 - 49 category.

With some left in the tank.

Has my life changed much from being part of Michelle's 12wbt?

You betcha :)


No comments:

Post a Comment