Saturday, November 3, 2012

Happy anniversary...

...to me!  Today marks one year since my back surgery.  I'm really emotional  about it.

This was me on November 3, 2011;

I was sad.  Really sad. And despite having a "bad back" for a number of years, I took none of the advice given.  I didn't exercise.  Not even walk.  I ate terribly.  And I can remember making excuses for my weight, like; I've got the world's slowest metabolism.  I work long hours and I'm too busy to exercise.  I've always been big.  I even threw the big boned thing out there on occasion.  oh, and my favourite self-justification that I HAVE said out loud to people...I only have to walk past a donut shop and I put on a kilo.  OMG - what bullshit!  If I didn't go IN to the donut shop and buy 3, that might have made a difference.

But, you get the picture... I was fat, and sad, and crippled with back pain to the point that paralysis set in down my left side and I was rushed to Monash and operated on the next morning.

And that's when I said goodbye to sad, pathetic, fat me.  I didn't want that kind of a life.

When I got home from hospital, my gorgeous man bought me an ipad, and I began searching for ways to turn my life around.  I stumbled across Rebecca's blog which is where I first heard about 12wbt.  I remember reading about all the things she was doing, not for even one second thinking that a year later I would be doing them too.  I was inspired.  And in true Raelene fashion, I researched the living daylights out of it.

So this was early November, and the next "round" of 12wbt didn't start until February.  I REALLY wanted to do it, but could only walk short distances, but often.  In fact, the first time I made it to the driveway next door I thought there should have been some type of parade!  But I persevered.   The man bought me Michelle Bridges books and a wii-fit. And each day I walked a little further, cooked a little better, and by the time 12wbt pre-season started in January, I was around 10kg down.

About this time, something completely changed my life.  Facebook.  Until now I'd avoided it for various reasons that aren't relevant here.  On the 12wbt forums, someone had posted about a FB group in the Casey Cardinia area that had started up, so I took the plunge and signed up.  I was REALLY timid at first.  Too shy/scared to go to the group walks they had planned.  In retrospect, I was worried that my recovery wasn't fast enough and that I wouldn't be able to keep up.  That everyone would be fitter than me, and I'd be liability city.

A couple of the ladies reached out to me, and from then on I was hooked.  Olivia, Judy, Nicole, Katrina, Lisa, and a cast of hundreds really.  Amazing ladies.  Generous with their time and their hearts, and I love them all dearly.

And as I plucked up the courage to start attending group sessions, my fitness and recovery came on at a great rate of knots.  So too did my interest in and knowledge of nutrition and turning this fad diet thing into a sustainable lifestyle.

I've marked todays anniversary in two ways and with two of my biggest supporters.  Yesterday afternoon I went for a loong walk with my Mum.  I love spending time with her so very very much.  And today, my gorgeous man came on a 20km walk with me, from our house to Fountain Gate shopping centre and back, for no other reason than we could.  Crazy about the man by the way - still - after all these years!

I could recount all the highs and lows of this past 12 months - mostly highs coz that's the kind of life we live.  But all I need to say is that I'm no longer sad and I'm no longer fat.

I don't know who reads this blog, and frankly it's not about that. But if you do read it and you can relate to how the "before me" felt, please look up www.12wbt.com and don't waste another day being unhappy and without purpose.  It'll change your life in ways you'd never expect xx




5 comments:

  1. I love this post :)
    You seriously walked all the way to FG? WOW that's awesome! You look so relaxed and stunning in the last photo.
    Your attitude lately has been very inspiring and I thank you for helping me get back on track :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...yep all the way to and from FG. Crazy, eh?
      You're going to kill round 4. I just know it xx

      Delete
  2. OMG that sad face and puppy dog eyes in photo one to the bright brilliant smile in photo 2. Thats what you do to us to you light us up and give us hope and inspire us all. You have come such a long way and no way would i have picked that first person as you I have only even known the person you are today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply FANTASTIC.... Inspiring Raelene
    Julie

    ReplyDelete