Sunday, August 24, 2014

Those three little words

Hills.

Sprints.

Intervals.

And what do you get when you add the together?  A bloody good workout!

Thursday after work looked a little like this;
1st km      5:21     "Oh, this feels alright"
2nd km    5:55      "Running sucks - why do people do this?"
3rd km     8:17      "I'll just walk for a little bit, yeah?"

So at this point my options were;
a) abandon
b) suck it the hell up

Which gave me the slightly warped idea of hacking out some hill intervals.  The long, fast kind.  Torture, right?

Wrong!  I loved it, and worked my ass off with a big stupid grimace grin.

I'd guestimate my hill of choice was about 50m long, an incline of about 5% and nice soft, well-worn bitumen.  It was about 4.30pm, 10 degrees and pretty much as good as it gets.

So I crank out the first sprint.  Felt good.  Jog back.  Repeat. Get to five I told myself.  Feeling dead at 5.  Decide to walk back from the 5th.  Second wind. Lose count.  Do 9.  Top speed 3:27/km. HR peaks at 152.  Cadence reaches 212.  Those two are usually the other way around.

Maybe these hill things aren't so bad after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment