Saturday, August 16, 2014

Run positive

Even before we left the house this morning, I knew I would PB at parkrun today.

Last Sunday on the bus from C2S finish line to Bondi Junction train station, I knew it.  Coz 5km is easy when you're coming off 14.  And a flat 5 is even easier again.  Then add in a solid recovery to a well nourished and well rested body, and there's no reason not to, is there?

Let's rewind a little?  March 1st held the record for my fastest 5km.  On that day I took one whole second off my previous best, coming in at 25:43. That was after three months of trying.  

The next week I was super pumped and had a sub 25 in my sights.  Kilometre 1 and 2 were on track at just over 5 minutes each. But that 3rd km always gets me and my legs start to feel heavy.  I lengthened my stride, figuring that the less they turned over, the less they would hurt.  It also put extra pressure on my slightly annoyed ITB, and at the 2.6km mark, I pulled up like I'd torn a hammy. 

Good news: it wasn't my hamstring.  Bad news: it was a minor ITB tear, down low just over the knee.

Because I was less active during the recovery, (and moving boxes at work) my stupid back decided it would freak out too.  So in reality, I've been in recovery and strengthening mode for the last 5 months.

So today...
I go out hard.
1st km    5:12
2nd km   4:50
On pace for <25 minutes.

3rd km   5:04
4th km   5:05
All I have to do is run another 4:50 and the illusive sub 25 is mine.

And then my head decides to butt into the conversation.

"You're going to hurt yourself if you keep at this pace".  "Remember last time?".  "Who cares if you go sub 30 anyway?".

So I drop back to a walk.  Yep.  At the 4km mark.

One of my running buddies, Rachel, who was right on my tail, gave me a burst of verbal encouragement.  It was enough to kick my rear end, and I picked the pace back up to run with her for 200m or so.  Until I just couldn't.  Breath was hard to come by.  Nausea was rising.  I walked some more.

This was NOT the way I wanted to finish.  There was 500m to go and I could see the finish line.  So I just ran. 

5th km    5:11
Which, according to my Garmin, gave me an unofficial time of 25:19, official came in at 25:32.

The photographer captured how I felt perfectly.  S.P.E.N.T.


Thanks Rachel for pulling me through.  And congrats on smashing your own PB too.  A positive mind achieves great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment